Monday, January 4, 2010

Elsie Dinsmore paper doll, 1916




Back in June I wrote about the Chronicling America web site, where hundreds of newspapers are indexed and searchable. I was able to find one paper doll image. But for my Christmas card last month, my husband found and printed out a few more paper doll images. I'll post them here over the next few days. The images are not the sharpest, but they are a guide to treasures you might find in an old stack of newspapers at a flea market, estate sale or your own attic.  

For example, the paper doll above was part of an advertisement that ran in the University Missourian, February 22, 1916.


The Elsie Dinsmore paper dolls were given away with the purchase of an Elsie Dinsmore dress.  The dress at left, bottom in the picture shows birds circling her dress, as one hand holds a bird or butterfly aloft.

UPDATE: The pictures I post from Chronicling America are pdf files from the site itself, which I then converted to jpegs. Given that so many old newspapers were destroyed (and exist only as poor quality microfiche at most public libraries), it's good to see these better quality scans made available.     



No comments:

Post a Comment