Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Woman's Day, 1946

This January 1946 issue of Woman's Day (newsstand price: two cents) is a chronicle of life returning to "normal" after the war, the pent up demand for material goods, and the yearning to create a home, what one sociologist has called "a haven in a heartless world." It is the beginning of the Baby Boom years.







Click on the images to enlarge.
Looking through this issue, I was struck by the articles and ads drawing women back to their traditional roles at home after working in factories or heading the household while the man of the house was at the front. People were still "making do" as shortages continued.

Over the next few days, I'll post a few more sample pages and ads from this issue.  I'm still figuring out how to size pictures for best readability on my new MacBook Pro, so if it's not legible at first, I'll fiddle with it till I get the proportions right.

No comments:

Post a Comment