Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Clapsaddle Colonial Couple, c. 1900


P.S. I only want to add,
Your message makes me very glad;
I hope some day, for you and me,
The bells will ring right merrily.

This might have been part of a more elaborate greeting card, given the P.S. Very sweet. No markings, just an "E" on the reverse, which serious collectors probably know something about.

Artist: Ellen H. Clapsaddle (1865-1934), the most prolific postcard and greeting card artist of her time. She was from upstate New York, Herkimer County, and attended Cooper Union in New York City. She produced more than 3,000 designs during the golden age of souvenir postcards, 1898-1915.

In looking up information about Clapsaddle, I found an interesting site: Postcrossing, with an enchanting idea: Send a postcard, receive one back, from anywhere in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment