Thursday, March 5, 2015

Jumbo's legacy



The exploitation of Jumbo in the 19th century is, perhaps, where our fascination with elephants began.  Elephants were put on display for our amusement, in unnatural habitats, doing unnatural things. Jumbo died an awful death in a railway accident. Now the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus will phase out  the use of elephants. Somewhere Jumbo is smiling.

And now if we could halt the illegal trade in ivory that has killed off hundreds of these beautiful animals.





3 comments:

  1. Yes! I heard this on the radio yesterday and was thrilled! I think they said they plan to phase out the elephants by 2018. That can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned!
    Happy to hear you obviously feel the same-
    Have a great weekend!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the elephants and they've been such a part of the circus for so long but I do understand them phasing them out. The circus won't be quite the same without them though. I suspect the other animal acts will eventually be phased out as well.

    ReplyDelete